Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Missionary work just got real, really quick didn't it?

Us on Halloween... notice the snow that isn't present :) it was a beautiful day
Me picking oranges with a super long pole with a basket grabber on the end :) hahaha it's SO hard to do!







 A real live avocado tree!!
Me with the smaller pole... oranges here are sooo good!!
Fun Facts:
1. In our apartment we have:11 avocados, 23 oranges, 4 lemons, 2 pears, 7 bananas, 12 apples, and one bag of spinach
2. Member asked me what I wanted for dinner that I missed from home. Answer = Meatloaf!
3. Number of lessons given in camping chairs on a porch this week = 1. Popsicles were included.
4. Number of times I got to go to sleep an hour early this week = 3!!! (Halloween, head ache, daylight savings)
5. Number of old ladies that call me Marysa at an old folks home =  6.
6. I hardly drink milk anymore. It tastes too "cowy"! bleh.
7. Number of times a missionary has accidentally sworn at me over text this week = 1.
8. Number of times I had a grilled cheese, salad, and wild cherry pepsi for lunch in October = 5.
9. Number of taxidermist garages toured = 1.
10. Number of elders dumb enough to bet a beverage with me when we went bowling for pday = 2.
11. Number of elders who currently owe me a beverage because they lost = 2.  :) hahaha!
 
So get this, my district leader is Haitian and he also has a twin brother. Well this week he said. QUOTE - 
 "If my twin was a girl instead of a boy, it would have been you Sister Barfuss." Hahaha! I asked him why that was and he said, "I dunno. But I KNOW you would have been my twin sister if I had one." Niceeeeeee. Apparently I can pull off being part Haitian. :) haha! yeah right.
 
Pretty much mission life is starting to get weird... transfers area almost upon us again and one of the sisters in my district goes home. So basically, when she goes home, I'm the OLDEST one (mission wise and age wise) in our district. I'm starting to get old! It's weird to have my district leader be 18 and only out for 3 months, but man he does a good job! The Lord loves helping young people who are humble!
 
Super cool to hear that Sister Satterfield made it back home! That was just the craziest thing in the world! Was there anything in the box that surprised you!? Haha! My favorite thing in there is the poncho I bought :) it's so warm and ugly. I plan on wearing it camping every single time for the rest of my life!
 
Miracle from this week: We got a call from a member in another ward with a referral... yay! But this isn't just any referral. Turns out that there was a guy that was high (maybe drunk. both!?) that was driving this past week and he swerved off the road and hit a teenage boy and killed him in Spring Valley. The boy was just walking on the side walk minding his own business and now he is dead. They had the funeral on Saturday. The father of the boy wants a blessing and the member wants the missionaries to come over and teach the Plan of Salvation. Missionary work just got real, really quick didn't it? I have been thinking about this lesson and it brings me peace to know that what I am going to teach him and then testify to him about, is true. I know it is. He will see his son again and they can and will be sealed forever and ever. Powerful.
 
I love you with all my heart!
Sister Barfuss

 

No comments:

Post a Comment