1. at the zoo 9 different mormon families stopped us and said hi!
2. i got the packy!! thank for the ginger snaps :) oh my lanta those are so good. last time you sent them to me i served in the same zone as the Lao elders and they ate like 50 of them each. so i took them some of these ones and they said "WE LOVE MAMA BARFUSS!!!" so yeah, they say thanks too :) and my quad is awesome too!!
3. i got to go on an exchange with sister strasser! we stayed up until like midnight yacking in the dark! hahaha she goes home in 8 weeks! isn't that crazy!!??
4. since our members all work at fast food places we get free food from them every once in a while. on thursday we got free Taco Taco and free Coldstone! HOLLAH.
5. you know the senior couple we serve with in our ward? the van alfens? well elder van alfen told me that on fast sunday everyone has "moose breath" hahahhahahaha could not have described that better :) heh
6. there is a girl in our ward that has cerebral palsy and she doesn't have the function of almost anything in her body. she uses a power chair to get around. i have become her "take the sacrament helper!" i take the bread and rip it to the smallest little piece and put it on her tongue and then with the water i put the cup up so it barely touches her lips. reminds me of helping out Buddy in seminary!!! I LOVE HIM!!
7. for FHE this week we had a pool party and then we learned how to crochet. hahahhaa. yes, i know can crochet you something for Christmas. any requests??? it's weird how many non members come to these activities!! it's the best place for missionary work!
8. elder christofferson is coming this next week for some Priesthood leadership training and then he is doing an investigator/recent convert fireside and missionaries don't get to go :( sadddddd day
9. there is a elder in my zone that went to mountain crest mamas!! i told him that you chose the colors and mascot of all that! oh yeah.
10. there is a guy in my ward that i had a sociology class with at BYU. it's kinda weirding me out. i haven't told him yet. i don't think he recognizes me.
11. we only have 1 person from utah in our district. THAT'S UNHEARD OF.
12. the Laotian elders and the Arabic elders both had a baptism last month!! the first ones they have had since they added those languages like 9 months ago! whoa.
13. there are 5 zones assigned to street contact in down town all day since the Book of Mormon play is out right now. they said it's been crazy!! people think they are cast members and want their autograph!! hahaha
14. did a whole bunch of service at a horse arena again this week. we raked and shoveled horse poopoo for like 4 hours!! i felt like a REAL woman right then. after we were all done the owner showed us his horses and i brushed one of them! she ended up getting all close to me and gave me a horse hug :) one of the elders has the pictures of it so i'll have to steal them from him... but it was tender. i've grown a tad bit more fond of animals on my mission. NOT DOGS THOUGH. bleh.
we are having a "sisters retreat" next pday where all the sisters in the mission go to the SDSU institute and eat lunch and then have like an hour meeting about sister stuff. i got asked to give a talk at it that is "motivating and uplifting" BAHHHHHHHHHH who gave someone that idea!?!?? BLAST YOU!!!! so next week i'll probably email late again... if i don't pass out and die during my talk!! I'll probably work in my Trafalga story ;) hhehehehe I use that one EVERY TIME!! that's a money story.
well sister landeen and i went to the Claytons very last mission leadership council meeting this week :( they go home in like 20 days. sad face. they gave us all the info on how the transition is going to work and when President Schmitt is going to bring his family to meet all of us...it's so crazy!!! Basically President Clayton said that if you call after 11:00 am on the 28th that President Schmitt is going to answer. whoa. i'm really excited to meet them!! President Clayton talked to us about opposition and how satan is working hard on our mission right now because he knows it is a time that he could get into our hearts more than usual. i've not going to lie, the last two weeks i have felt it and noticed it. we've been having problems with all sorts of silly things that haven't been a problem in the past in our zone. so sister landeen and i are trying hard to be good examples of a few specific things hahaa.
all the missionaries in our zone say "I'm so sorry you have to serve in a YSA ward!! that must be so hard. especially in the summer when nobody has school and they are always hanging out and partying and dating!!" so yeah, that's been a fun challenge for us. Basically if I'm keeping it real with you all right now, here is my life....... Pool parties, fun FHEs, 20 something year old girls, 20 something year old guys, the summer, institute, Bible study, and yet i can DO NONE OF IT!!!!!!!!
i'm basically living in the life i left at BYU but i can't let myself be part of it. We HAVE to go to all the activities because that is where we meet all the members' nonmember friends!! that is a challenge. okay i'm going to stop whining. but seriously, keeping yourself on task and focused at all times in a YSA ward in sunny san diego is not something i thought my mission was going to consist of..... bahhhhahahhaha whatevs.
on the upside, our bishopric is AMAZING!!! they really take care of me and sister landeen :) out of the 150 companionships in our mission (not counting senior couples) there are 8 that serve in YSA wards. yay for us!!
okay my eyes hurt now. i'm not used to staring at technology for this long..... hahaha
sister barfuss :) :)